Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Time Underestimated - Faux Wood Garage Doors

After we moved into our new house a few years ago, I wanted to have real wood garage doors installed. Well...I didn't get them, it turns out they are really, really, really expensive. But, I wanted them. So, I found a tutorial online on how to paint faux wood doors. That was it! The seed had been planted, this was now on my to-do list of projects and I couldn't forget about it. I was determined. About a month ago, I finally had the opportunity to start this project. So, I was off to the local Sherwin Williams store with my paint colors picked out, my printed tutorial in hand, and tons of excitement to start this grand project. When I started telling the man behind the counter about my plans, I felt it going south pretty quickly. The more I was excited about what I was going to do, the more he explained the impossibility of the whole project. He explained how difficult it is to do faux painting and that I would probably not be able to do it as the average DIY'er has a hard time.

...Enter doubt stage left...

I ended up leaving the store that day without the paint and enough self doubt to bring me to the belief that I was not going to be able to execute this beautiful door I had pictured in my mind. Shortly after we got into the car, boy did my husband get the worst of it! I was happy to let him know that the man behind the counter did not understand my skill level. I was furious that he would even suggest that I would not be able to pull this off. Didn't he know who he was talking to? I can make anything! Just ask my 10 year old daughter! How dare he??? By the time we got home, I was mad enough to want to prove him wrong. I WILL DO THIS GARAGE DOOR AND I WILL SUCCEED! I went back to the same store a week or so later and I kept my mouth shut. I ordered my paint, waited patiently until it was mixed and quietly left with renewed excitement.
This is how it started...

Step one was to paint the entire door a base coat color called Tatami Tan. This is where the neighbors had to be excited. The best way to describe this color is... hmmm...peach! Ok, maybe a caramel colored peach. After I painted the base coat, the next step was to tape off vertical grain areas. This was a very important step as it gave the illusion of perfectly mitered joints.
Below is what the neighbors were left with at the end of Day 1. WOWZA!

The next day I got up bright and early and ready to finish this project off! Yay me! Let's do this!
It was at this moment that I seriously underestimated the amount of time I needed to complete this project. After 8 hours of carefully taping each panel, painting each vertical grain with a layer of brown called java, then a mixture of java and black, I had to call it a day. I was exhausted.
The neighbors had to be really excited now. I actually had one guy come down to find out exactly what I was doing because he wanted to make sure I wasn't painting my doors peach. Um...yeah...ok buddy... get some landscaping, then come talk to me about my garage doors!

This is how Day 2 finished up.

You can tell from this photo, darkness had fallen... I painted the bottom row so that hopefully my neighbors would see where I was going with this monstrosity.

Monday came as it always does and my project had to wait until after work. It's fall here in Michigan, so I was racing against the clock for both sunshine and decent weather. I was still excited about my project though, so I was back at it as soon as I got home from work until darkness forced me inside.

After two weeks of this relentless schedule and life creeping in here and there, the excitement started to diminish. I can't believe how long it is taking me to do these doors!

I completed this project yesterday, but not without cursing this door the entire day. I just wanted to be done. I questioned over and over and over again, why I started such an enormous project.
And then...
I stepped back...
snapped my photo...
and there it was, everything I had pictured in my head.
My wood garage door.
I did it!
Take that Sherwin Williams guy!
How ya like me now???????


Excited and overjoyed, I said to my husband "what do you think? Do you like it?" His response: "Are you going to do the front door now?"
We'll see...I can't even think about it right now... we'll see.
~Sheila


If you enjoyed this article, get email updates by entering your email address in the follow by email box.
 If you are viewing this on a cell phone, please go to the web version to enter your email address.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I wish I had half of your inspiration and talent! Looks Real and Beautiful!
Bre

Stephens Family said...

I LOVE the doors! They look amazing! I've long told you that you are in the wrong career :) Great job!!!!

Kim said...

Looks fantastic! I think you need to take a picture over to the "Debbie Downer" at Sherwin Williams!

Anonymous said...

Great job Sheila!! You are so very talented.
LFT

Anonymous said...

Great Job Sheila!! Your garage doors look amazing. In the short time that I have known you I am amazed by everything that you create. You make me want to be crafty. I think you should go and show that @&# as Sherwin Williams that you did do.

Oh and call me crazy - I liked that base coat and it was far from peach!! LOL!

Buffy said...

Now THAT looks great! Don't know how you find the time? It just took me 2 mo to strip/paint cabinets ugh! waiting for nickel bsplash. Since we can't get out of the ghetto might as well make it look good.:) You are an inspiration thanks. If you do the door post, I love that idea. Crafty!lol:)

Sheila Richardson said...

Thanks buddy! I hear a cottage calling us!

Sheila Richardson said...

You are the best support person ever!

Sheila Richardson said...

Thank you! I should take a pic into Sherwin Williams!

Sheila Richardson said...

Ahh thanks LFT!

Sheila Richardson said...

Sophia, is that you? When I think about the beginning of this project I can't help but think about you. I'm so glad you showed up with a couple lime-a-ritas!

Sheila Richardson said...

Thanks Buff-eeeee!!
Find the time? That's my problem, I can't! Trust me, a lot of other things suffer so I can feed my DIY habit! :)

Chrissy @ Adventures in DIY said...

This looks amazing! You were very brave to try it - I would be afraid to screw it up and have a big mess on my hands. :)

workoutmama10 said...

Hi, Loved your story! I am determined to do my garage doors too. How has the durability been? I have every 10 year old boy in our neighborhood playing basketball in my driveway. Also, tell me exactly what products you used. ie water based? What type of glaze did you use and did you do it by hand?

Sheila Richardson said...

Thank you! The doors held up very nicely over the winter. They face the east so the get quite a bit of direct sunlight and they haven't faded. The directions I followed stressed the importance of water based paint and clear coat as an oil based product will ruin the garage door.
I used Sherwin Williams Paint - Tatami Tan for the base coat, Java for the next coat and a 1:1 Java & Black for the third coat. I also used water based Spar Urethane that I bought from Lowes for the topcoat. Here is a link to the instructions I found online. He has since updated his instructions and now recommends a different topcoat.
http://www.everythingicreate.com/p/garage-door-tutorial.html?m=0

workoutmama10 said...

You are awesome. I will keep you posted on my outcome. Sounds like you didn't use any of the tools that try and make it look like wood grain. I like the idea of the java and black. Thanks for the link...I will check it out.

Joe Wilde Company said...

Wow great garage door. You did a great job! You had a great story to read and it shows what a little bit of hard work can do. Isn't it amazing how big of a difference a door can make on your home?

We loved reading, keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this useful information... Nice design for your Home garage door and I like it... Good work!

Custom Garage Doors

Wooden Garages said...

Nice work, looks good!

Unknown said...

Few days ago suddenly i feeling a problem for make door in my home.I am always looking for a solution finally i find it this article

Custom Mahogany Doors

kingloin said...

The stuff you are penning blows out my mind.

Advice by Lynn Wood Create

Anonymous said...

If the guy behind the counter at Sherwin Williams was such an ass, why didn't you go to different store to buy the paint? And then send them the picture later to prove them wrong?

Anonymous said...

Awesome job especially for someone who is not a faux painter. If budget is a concern, faux painting is the way to go. Here's another color combination that will look like wood door. Base color: Sherwin Williams Monarch Gold. Sherwin Williams Woodsy Brown for overlay coat over the Monarch Gold color. Start applying the base coat SW Monarch Gold on the garage door surface. Use paint brush and roller for this step. Let it dry completely 24-48 hours. Your garage door will look headious at this point as Monarch Gold is Orange in color. The base paint must be completely dry before applying the next step. Using new a brush apply the Sherwin Williams Woodsy Brown onto a small section (2ft high x 6 ft wide) at a time. Use a clean rag and lightly wipe down to allow some of the Monarch Gold to show up. This is where you have to decide how much of the Woodsy Brown color to wipe off. It will determine the final color of your door. Upon completion go on to the next section and repeat the process making sure that the transition to the next section match up to the prior section. Make sure the transition is smooth and there is no hard break from one section to the other. Some people apply wood grain using a wood graining kit like the Allway Tools available at Amazon.com and Homedepot.com. This is not necessary if you do a good job in the faux painting steps. Wait 24-48 hours for the paint to dry. Apply a coat of matt UV protected clear coat to give it the faux finish an added protection. Your steel garage door will now look like a wooden garage door.

For owners with a bigger renovation budget, custom wood garage door is an option. However, as you indicated wooden garage doors are expensive. Another cheaper option is to consider faux wood garage doors. The composite faux wood material are molded from real wood pieces so they look just like the real thing. The big difference compared to real wood door is that the faux wood door requires less upkeep. It will not rot, crack. shrink, or warp over time. It is designed for cold, hot and humid weather. Check out Ranch House Doors website for more information about their faux wood garage doors www.faux-wood-garage-doors.com or www.ranchhousedoors.com

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy to have read this!!! Especially the part where your nosey neighbor came by! haha

My HOA seems feel we are their own personal project to correct and harass!

Anyways I am going to be submitting for approval to do my garage door as well. I was really discouraged and thinking I would not but this was very inspiring!