Monday, February 11, 2019

Girls Hockey Tournament Door Signs

My youngest daughter is on a hockey team that is on FIRE! Cue Alicia Keys singing "That girl is on fire". Let's all sing now!

This group of girls is really something special. Not only are they skilled hockey players, but they are friends and the definition of teammates. They have had an amazing season of winning because they play as a team. It's been fun watching them get closer over the last few years. Heck... it's been fun watching them be able to intentionally pass the puck and then actually catch the pass! That sounds silly, but they have come a long way since the beginning! Now, here they are 12 & 13 year old girls who have taken on older teams, a boys team & teams a tier higher than theirs and won! With grace too may I add. They play hard and they really have fun doing it together! How can you beat that? It almost sounds too good to be true!

A couple of years ago we had a super creative mom (shout out to Jen) who made personalized hotel door signs for a Toronto tournament. They were hockey skates made from card stock and laminated. That door sign is on Julia's bedroom door today and has been since we got back from the tournament. We have since been to many other tournaments, but Jen and her daughter  moved to another team and the rest of us kind of dropped the ball. To be honest, we had big shoes to fill. Jen did a bunch of fun and creative things for the girls all season long.

This year, I wanted to revive the hotel door tournament sign. What kid does not love their name on stuff? What player (of any sport) doesn't want to see their number on everything? Wait... let me just keep up with the honesty here... what MOM does not want to see her kid's name and number on everything??? We want to see their name in lights! We want to see it on stage! Sometimes, I only see my kid. As if a spot light is shining down on her and her alone. It almost seems like a problem. Moms just can’t get enough.

My name is Sheila Richardson and I AM A MOM!

So anywho... I bought the Silhouette Cameo 3 as a little gift from Me to Me last year and I am absolutely in love with this machine. I can't get enough of this thing! No blank surface is safe! I even tried to put hubby’s name on his cell phone. Yeah, that suggestion didn’t go very well.

 I wanted to make something that the girls would keep just like Jen did, so I came up with a banner. Actually, I decided on a banner. Meredith's mom Sue is the one who suggested a banner when I told her I wanted to do something. Thanks for the idea Sue!

Armed with the Silhouette Cameo 3, glitter heat transfer vinyl, team colors, and the names/numbers of all of the girls, I was ready to make these banners. Check out the hockey players, they have long hair. I was not about to put a generic silhouette on these. I wanted them to clearly be girls.

In true Sheila style, I only have a few pics of some of the banners.

WHY? WHY can't I get my picture game together?????





I am happy to report that they won the Buffalo outdoor tournament and brought home some hardware. The trophy made an appearance at Niagara Falls on the way home. 

Pretty awesome! 


Photo Credit: The Castle Family

~Sheila

If you enjoyed this article, get email updates by entering your email address in the "follow by email box" located in the right side pane of the full website version.

Viewing this article on a cell phone? Please go to the web version to enter your email address to follow.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Where did you find this silhouette? I love it.